Saturday, July 10, 2010

Poptarts


Whenever I cook something one of two things happens. Either (1) I don't write anything down and weeks later I have no idea what I did or (2) I do know what I did but I'm unwilling to post it because I know it can be done better next time. I'll have to just post what I cook and update recipes as I go along.

Poptarts


















Crust:
1c natural white wheat flour
1/2c bad for you white flour
1 tbsp cornstarch
pinch salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
approx. 2 tbsp honey (optional)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1-2 tbsp. cold water

Filling
Jam (I used strawberry)

Glaze
Powdered sugar
Milk (or coconut milk)
3-5 drops strawberry stevia (optional)
Sprinkles (optional)


Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Combine flours, cornstarch, & salt. Add butter and honey, blend (C-hook, a blender, pastry cutter, or hands). Add vinegar. Add water, 1 tbsp. at a time, gently mixing. Form ball.

Roll dough a rectangle. Cut edges to get straight lines. Cut lengthwise, forming two long rectangles. Cut vertically to form individual rectangles. (You should have about 10 identical rectangles, the top row will be the tops and the bottom row will have the filling placed on it)

Spoon jam in the middle of each of the bottom rectangles. Place the tops on top. Press edges with fingers then crimp with fork.

Place Pop-tarts on a baking sheet with parchment paper, and bake for 7-8 minutes.

Glaze. Mix in ziplock bag, cut a tiny tip off the end. If you glaze while hot it'll be more runny, but i like to eat them hot so i do it a few minutes after they come out of the oven.
Sprinkles optional

No comments:

Post a Comment